Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
Assessment and Taxation

Assessment & Taxation’s front counter at 457 Main St. is closed until further notice.

A public access terminal has been relocated to 510 Main Street (Susan A. Thompson Building) for public use from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday, for the duration of the closure of 457 Main Street.

Experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19? Options are available to help you pay your business and residential tax. For more information, see:

Visit the COVID-19 website for a comprehensive listing of service impacts.

Tax Credit Programs

Manitoba Education Property Tax Credit (EPTC)

The Education Property Tax Credit (EPTC) is a Provincial Tax Credit for homeowners and tenants to offset the occupancy costs of property tax for homeowners and 20% of rent for tenants - payable in Manitoba.

The Education Property Tax Credit Advance is where the EPTC is applied directly to the municipal property tax statement for homeowners.

The Education Property Tax Credit Advance can only be claimed on a homeowner’s principal residence, which may include more than one property in a year. For example, when a homeowner sells a principal residence and purchases another principal residence and each property received an Education Property Tax Credit Advance that does not mean that the homeowner received more than the basic Education Property Tax Credit allowed of up to $700.

In order to qualify for the EPTC Advance on your taxes:

  1. The property must be your principal residence
  2. The property must be assessed as a single residential dwelling
  3. The homeowner cannot be receiving the credit on another home elsewhere in the Province

If you rent an apartment you may be entitled to the tax credit, however you will need to claim the tax credit on your income tax return.

If you have not received the EPTC on your current years’ property tax bill, you will need to claim the tax credit for the current year on your income tax return.

In order to apply to have the credit added to your next years’ property tax bill you will need to fill out a Self-Declaration form found on this page and return the completed form to the City of Winnipeg, Assessment and Taxation Department by March 15th.

To advise the Assessment and Taxation Department that you should not receive the EPTC, please complete the Self-Declaration form, indicating this in the “Declaration” section of the form.

Completed Self-Declaration forms can be remitted to the Assessment and Taxation Department:

  1. Mail or in-person drop off:

    Assessment and Taxation Department
    457 Main Street
    Winnipeg, MB R3B 1B5

  2. Via email:

  3. Via fax: 204-986-6732

Sewer and Water Credit

Under the Unserviced Residential Premises Tax Credit Program, properties that receive neither water nor sewer services from the City and meet other established eligibility criteria may receive an annual tax credit of up to $250.00.

The annual credit is applied to realty taxes with respect to property which meets all of the following requirements on January 1st of the taxation year:

  1. the property or a portion of the property must be classified as Residential 1 (Single Family Dwelling);
  2. the property must contain a building which is occupied in whole or in part by one or more of the registered ownersof the property, as the registered owner's home and principal residence;
  3. the property must be neither:
    1. connected to either a water and/or a sewer utility of the City; nor
    2. fronting a street in which either watermains and/or a sewer of the city have been placed.

If you believe your property is eligible for this credit, please contact our Customer Service Contact Centre at 311 or toll free 1-877-311-4974.

Search City's By-Laws - By-Law Searches. Search for: Unserviced Residential Premises Tax Credit By-Law No. 7075/97

Farmland School Tax Rebate

If you own farmland in Manitoba, you may be eligible for a rebate on the farmland portion of your school taxes. This tax rebate program is offered/funded by the Province of Manitoba. This is a link to the Provincial Tax Assistance Office and provides additional information concerning the Farmland School Tax Rebate.

Other Incentive Programs

The Planning, Property and Development Department offers a range of financial assistance and incentive programs for the development/renovation of heritage buildings. The following provides a link to information concerning these various programs: incentive Programs

Last update: June 21, 2018

Was this information helpful?

How can we make it better?

Any personal information included in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Quelles améliorations pourrions-nous faire?

Les renseignements personnels qui sont inclus dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer notre site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone (311) si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.